JSCHOOL MADRICHIM PROGRAM for 9th-12th grade teens
Our JSchool madrichim program promotes the development of leadership skills as our teens serve in K-6 Religious School classrooms.
WHAT IS IT?
“Madrich” (m) or “Madricha” (f) means “Leader/Guide”. Madrichim (plural form) support our Religious School by serving as teaching assistants in the classroom or working in other school capacities. Our Madrichim program offers 9th-12th grade teens the opportunity to develop communication and leadership skills, to increase self-confidence, express Jewish values, and learn practical teaching skills by assisting teachers in the classroom.
HOW WILL THEY KNOW WHAT TO DO?
The Madrichim program is not just a way to help our students; it is also an opportunity for teens to develop communication, organizational and teaching skills. All madrichim are required to attend orientation and trainings throughout the year, in addition to helping in the classroom weekly on Sundays.
IS THIS A PAID POSITION?
Yes, this is a paid position. The only requirement is that the student must be a Temple Har Shalom member in good standing. Madrichim will be paid on a monthly basis. If any teen would like to use this opportunity as a community service experience instead, that can be arranged as well.
WHAT IS EXPECTED OF MADRICHIM
We expect our madrichim to:
- Be a positive role model for the students and serve as mentors
- Attend orientation and training workshops
- Sign in at least 5 minutes before class begins
- Attend classes regularly and on time (notify supervisor in case of an absence)
- Design and implement one lesson during the year
- Assist teachers with material preparation, record keeping, and tzedakah collection
- Participate and encourage student participation during enrichment experiences
- Help involve students in the lesson and help keep individual students on task
- Work with students one-to-one or in small groups as directed by the teacher
- Accept constructive feedback and work towards self-improvement
WHO CAN HELP WITH QUESTIONS OR MADRICHIM SUPPORT?
Jordan Gelber, Youth Engagement Coordinator, directs the madrichim program and is on hand to discuss questions and problems, troubleshoot, and provide guidance for madrichim. To apply, click here for the application. APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY MAY 30th.